Friday, August 16, 2019

Birth story

My baby girl is one year old today! What better way to celebrate than to finally write her birth story! Note: I started this post almost a year ago... figured her birthday was a good day to post. I may finish it up tomorrow as it’s getting late and I’m sleepy. 

I was scheduled for August 16th at 9:30am, which means we had to be there by 7:30am. I could drink until then, but had to stop eating at 1:30am.  Of course, I woke up and had a snack in the middle of the night!

B, Mom and me left a little later than I would’ve preferred, but we still made it on time.  Fortunately, I prebooked our parking 1.5 blocks away from the hospital. We could’ve valeted, but that would mean going through the main entrance, X-ray machines, etc.  I used to work there, so I know the easy way ☺️.

We get to the Labor and Delivery floor and I check in. They tell me how cute I look, hair done and makeup on. Yay! Then we sit down to wait. After 15 minutes, one of the clerks comes around with my bands.... hmmm. They have yesterday’s date and have to be reprinted.  Oops!

My doctor (Dr. L) walks by. It looks like he just got there, in shorts and a T-shirt with his scrubs in his hand. He chats with us for a few and goes to get ready.

They call me and B back to the Early Labor area.  Mom takes a picture of us before we leave and he rolls his eyes at my being sentimental.

We settle into Early Labor and turn on the TV. It’s the Travel Channel and Man vs Food is on. We get introduced to the nurses. Early Labor nurse hooks up fetal monitor and asks me if the baby’s head is down.  I say yes. She does the ultrasound and says, “I don’t see a head.” After maneuvering more, she says. “That’s why.  Baby’s turned again and is breech. Bottom presentation.”  I realize that’s why my stomach looked different the last few days.  I start crying with laughter.

My IV is inserted in my right forearm (I would’ve preferred my left since I’m right-handed, but oh  well).  Dr. L comes in and we review some things.  I ask him about the clear drape so I can see the baby come out. He lets the nurse know and she goes to get one. Dr. L lets me know the anesthesiologist will be coming around and then we should be good to go. It’s almost 10 by now and I’m getting sleepy because I didn’t really get back to sleep after my nap.  My sister R, my niece and nephew, my SIL and my stepdad have joined Mom in the waiting area.  I know because we are texting and video calling back and forth.

Attending (Dr. M) and resident (I forget) anesthesiologist come in to talk to us.  I’ll be getting a spinal epidural combination. I warn him I have a high tolerance for anesthesia.

We’re told we will be going in soon.  Then we hear a patient in another room groaning. B looks at me and winces with the noise.  She sounds like a dying whale. A nurse comes in and says that Dr. L now has an emergency c-section, so we will have to wait.  That’s at least an hour.  Good thing I work up to eat and am already getting IV fluids. I think maybe I should turn off Man v Food.

We get ready to go in and then they stop us again. Another of Dr. L’s  patients has gone into active labor. So we must wait again.

Finally get the go ahead to leave the Early term labor area and hit the OR. It’s now about 12:30 pm. I give a call to my family that we’re going in and B takes my clothes and stuff to the Recovery area

Stay tined(


No comments:

Post a Comment